Technical Studies Program
Division of Technical Studies
The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Technical Studies is designed to provide students an opportunity to earn an associate degree in areas in which the college does not offer specialized degree programs. All students will complete fifteen credit hours of general education courses. The program is not designed for transfer, but it is designed to prepare students for immediate employment.
The goals of the Technical Studies program are as follows: (1) to enable students to acquire occupational competencies in a specific technical education field along with basic general education competencies, (2) to enable students to develop unique career goals and marketable skills for the workplace in the chosen field, and (3) to provide students an opportunity to transfer the general education courses to a variety of baccalaureate degree programs offered by public senior institutions in the state of Louisiana.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete the Technical Studies Program will be able to:
- Perform basic mathematical functions needed to solve problems related to the chosen subject area.
- Communicate effectively using written English to produce coherent documents.
- Demonstrate an understanding of safety procedures and practices, safety equipment, regulations and reporting requirements.
- Understand basic management skills such as decision-making, planning, quality control, and effective communication.
- Identify and interpret technical-related data.
- Demonstrate competency in the chosen subject area concentration.
Student achievement related to Program Learning Outcomes is assessed systematically and results are made available on the Program Assessment Planning webpage.
B.B. "Sixty" Rayburn Correctional Center (Angie)
Florida Parishes Campus (Greensburg)
Hammond Campus (Hammond)
Lacombe Campus (Lacombe)
Livingston Campus (Walker)
Sullivan Campus (Bogalusa)
Associate of Applied Science in Technical Studies
The highest exit point in the Technical Studies program is the Associate of Applied Science in Technical Studies.
The following criteria must be satisfied towards the completion of the Associate of Applied Science in Technical Studies
|General Education Core||15|
In addition to the General Education Core, students must complete a Technical Diploma in a technical area that does not offer an AAS degree. This includes the following programs of study:
- Air Conditioning & Refrigeration
- Automotive Technology
- Building Technology Specialist
- Business Office Administration
- Care and Development of Young Children
- Culinary Arts and Occupations
- Diesel Powered Equipment Technology
- Electric Line Technology
- Machine Tool Technology
- Maritime Technology
- Practical Nursing
- Anticipated program length for the completion of the highest level exit point is 2 years.
- Program requirements must be completed with a programmatic grade point average of 2.0 or higher and grade of "C" or higher in all applicable coursework.