Technical Studies Program
Division of Technical Studies
The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Technical Studies is designed to provide students an opportunity to earn an associate degree in areas in which the college does not offer specialized degree programs. All students will complete fifteen credit hours of general education courses. The program is not designed for transfer, but it is designed to prepare students for immediate employment.
The goals of the Technical Studies program are as follows: (1) to enable students to acquire occupational competencies in a specific technical education field along with basic general education competencies, (2) to enable students to develop unique career goals and marketable skills for the workplace in the chosen field, and (3) to provide students an opportunity to transfer the general education courses to a variety of baccalaureate degree programs offered by public senior institutions in the state of Louisiana.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete the Technical Studies Program will be able to:
- Communicate effectively by use of composition through writing and speaking and comprehension through reading and listening.
- Construct problem-solving strategies to model, interpret, and (or) communicate solutions to mathematical problems.
- Integrate concepts of the scientific nature of the world and the role of behavioral and natural sciences as it pertains to health and well-being.
- Examine significant ideas and achievements in literature, art, music, and media in order to evaluate the impact these forms of expression have in today’s world.
- Analyze the diversity of the human experience through the practical applications of social, historical, cultural, economic, and political systems and apply to current events and in professional settings.
- Distinguish and apply credible sources of knowledge utilizing information literacy and research skills.
Student achievement related to Program Learning Outcomes is assessed systematically and results are made available on the Program Review webpage.
Rayburn Correctional Center (Angie)
Florida Parishes Campus (Greensburg)
Hammond Area Campus (Hammond)
Lacombe Campus (Lacombe)
Livingston Campus (Walker)
Sullivan Campus (Bogalusa)
Associate of Applied Science in Technical Studies
The highest exit point in the Technical Studies program is the Associate of Applied Science in Technical Studies.
The following criteria must be satisfied towards the completion of the Associate of Applied Science in Technical Studies
|General Education Core||15|
In addition to the General Education Core, students must complete a Technical Diploma within one of NTCC's programs of study.
- Anticipated program length for the completion of the highest level exit point is 2 years.
- Program requirements must be completed with a programmatic grade point average of 2.0 or higher and grade of "C" or higher in all applicable coursework.