Campuses & History
Northshore Technical Community College is comprised of campuses in the region north of New Orleans and east of Baton Rouge. With locations from Slidell to Hammond and from Bogalusa to Greensburg, we offer a wide range of in-demand educational programs to students in the Florida Parishes.
Lacombe Campus (Main Campus)
65556 Centerpoint Blvd, Lacombe, LA 70445
Opened in Spring 2017, the Lacombe Campus serves as the main campus for Northshore Technical Community College. Located in the center of St. Tammany, the campus is conveniently accessible from from destinations across the parish. With over 30,000 square foot of building space planned, the campus will features a heavy focus on science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
Sullivan Campus (Bogalusa)
1710 Sullivan Drive, Bogalusa, LA 70427
Northshore Technical Community College's Sullivan Campus sits on approximately 16.9 acres of land in Bogalusa, Louisiana. It is easily accessed from Highways 21, 10 and 41. The Sullivan Campus serves citizens of St. Tammany, Tangipahoa and Washington Parishes as well as Walthall County, Mississippi. The Sullivan Campus also supports the B. B. “Sixty” Rayburn Correctional Center Extension Campus located at 27268 Highway 21 in Angie.
Hammond Area Campus
111 Pride Drive, Hammond, LA 70401
Northshore Technical Community College's Hammond Area Campus is located on 13 acres next to the Hammond Northshore Regional Airport, approximately 2 miles east of downtown Hammond. The campus, with easy access to Interstate 12, is situated along Hwy 190, a main thoroughfare for the northshore area. This campus is located in Tangipahoa Parish and serves the citizens of Tangipahoa, Livingston and portions of St. Helena, Washington and St. Tammany Parishes.
Florida Parishes Campus (Greensburg)
7067 Hwy 10 (P.O. Box 1300), Greensburg, LA 70441
Northshore Technical Community College's Florida Parishes Campus is located at 7067 Hwy 10 in Greensburg on 58 acres of land south of Highway 10 (the throughway in Greensburg) and approximately 3/4-mile west of Highway 37 (Greenwell Springs Road). The campus is located in St. Helena Parish but serves citizens of St. Helena as well as Livingston, Tangipahoa, East Feliciana and Washington Parishes.
Sites and Instructional Service Centers
- Pearl River Instructional Service Center - 39110 Rebel Lane, Pearl River, LA 70452
- Southeastern Instructional Service Center - 900 B West University Ave, Hammond, LA 70402
Louisiana’s vocational technical education system originally began as "trade schools" in the thirties and has evolved to vocational schools, vocational technical schools, vocational technical institutes, and at present, technical colleges. This revolution is the result of a redesigned curriculum which blends technical education and applied academics ultimately leading to a certificate, diploma, and/or the associate of applied science degree, the credential of preference by many business, industry, and labor interests. In 1995 the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education established a technical college system comprised of one technical college with forty-two (42) campuses which offers sixty-six (66) full-time training programs to approximately 50,000 students. The name change to Northshore Technical College reflected the blending of technical and applied academic education.
Act 506 of the 2005 Regular Legislative Session proposed a reorganization of the Louisiana Technical College. LCTCS adopted the 21st Century Model for the Delivery of Technical Education effective July 1, 2006. The reorganization consisted of eight Regional Technical Education Centers. During fiscal year 2005-06, the Louisiana Legislature mandated the restructuring of Louisiana Technical College, creating regional centers comprised of a cluster of technical college campuses in a single area. Effective June 1, 2006, Dean William S. Wainwright became the Regional Director for newly formed Region 9 Sullivan (Main Campus) in Bogalusa and including Ascension Campus (Sorrento), Florida Parishes Campus (Greensburg), and Hammond Area Campus. The latest reorganization in March 2010 configured the Louisiana Technical College Region 9 to Northshore Technical College. In May 2010, the LCTCS Board of Supervisors approved the merger of the NTC Ascension Campus with River Parishes Community College (RPCC). Because of their geographical proximity of one mile, the river region consolidation was merged for seamless workforce training—secondary, technical, community college—through integrated curriculum opportunities.
During the 2011 Louisiana Legislative Session an action was signed into law creating Act 209 changing the name and focus of the college from Northshore Technical College to Northshore Technical Community College. Along with this action the college mission was changed to reflect the new focus of the college and the current Regional Director, William S. Wainwright, was appointed Chancellor.
History of the Sullivan Campus
The Northshore Technical Community College Sullivan Main Campus is a public institution operating under the Louisiana Community and Technical College System, Board of Supervisors. The college was founded as the Sullivan Memorial Trade School in 1930, and it was the first of its kind in Louisiana.
The original facility was built on Mississippi Avenue in Bogalusa, Louisiana, with funds contributed by school children and citizens of the city in memory of the city’s first mayor, William H. Sullivan. The facility operated independently for approximately four years before it was deeded to the State of Louisiana in 1934. From 1934 until July 1999, the school operated under the Louisiana State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education.
The current facility was built between 1970 and 1972 by W. Hayward Creel of Bogalusa. The campus, consisting of 85,000 square feet of air conditioned space, is located on Sullivan Drive at a site donated by Crown Zellerbach Corporation. The current buildings and facilities are worth in excess of $5 million, and the students have been responsible for nearly $275,000 of improvements and additions – proof of their learning by doing.
In 1930, only one course was offered at Sullivan – a woodworking class. Today, the Northshore Technical Community College Sullivan Main Campus offers over 20 challenging programs in high-demand occupational fields. Other programs are offered through the Sullivan Campus at the Washington Parish Correctional Institute in Angie and at the Slidell Instructional Service Center Behrman Site .
For the first time in 1996, Sullivan Campus offered Associate Degrees in Applied Technology (AAT) for the Office Systems and Accounting programs. Currently, Sullivan’s AAT degree programs have been approved as Associate of Applied Science (AAS) accredited programs. The Associate degrees are offered in 10 areas. In 2006, LTC Sullivan was selected as the main campus for the Region 9 campuses. Following the 2011 name change to Northshore Technical Community College, the Sullivan Main Campus remains the main campus for NTCC.
History of the Florida Parishes Branch Campus
Northshore Technical Community College Florida Parishes Branch Campus, formerly a trade/vocational school, was established in 1952 by the State Legislature to offer vocational training to the students of this geographic area. In 1990, the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education renamed all vocational schools to describe their function more accurately. This school became Florida Parishes Technical Institute. In the early 1990s, Quick Start funds were used to train employees for furniture manufacturing and the institute became involved in Tech Prep and articulation activities with area high schools and the local university.
In 1995, the agency for accreditation affiliation for all the technical institutes became the Council on Occupational Education (COE).
Also in 1995, all institutes that were still on a four-day week were changed back to a five-day week, and all institutes were renamed Louisiana Technical Colleges with this college designated as Florida Parishes Campus. The colleges began offering Associate of Applied Technology Degrees in the Office Occupations program with other programs to follow as curriculums were developed.
In 2007 Act 391 of the Louisiana Legislature approved fourteen new technical or community college facilities to include the Florida Parishes Campus. The new facility was constructed on 58 acres just west of the current campus, and classes at the new facility began fall 2012.
History of Hammond Area Branch Campus
Hammond Association of Commerce initiated the inception of a vocational school in the City of Hammond in April 1962. Money was allocated for a building, and renovations at 201 East Church Street, Hammond, Louisiana, were completed in June 1964. A director, William D. Allen, and staff were employed to prepare for the first classes to open in October 1965. In 1966-67 the rest of the building was renovated in preparation for expansion of programs.
A regional concept of career education was established with this school being assigned to Region 2. In 1978 a new facility was completed at 111 Pride Drive, on the east side of town next to the Hammond Municipal Airport.
In the 1980s, as a result of dwindling oil/gas revenues, Louisiana suffered massive financial shortfalls. As a result, all vocational schools experienced severe budget cuts in operating expenses. Several programs were closed, and several positions were cut. The school went to a four-day week in order to save on utilities and to allow students to work an extra day during the weekends.
In 1990 the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education renamed all vocational schools to describe their function more accurately. This school became Hammond Area Technical Institute. In the early 1990s, Quick Start funds were used to train employees for General Dynamics and two other new industries, and the institute became involved in Tech Prep and articulation activities with area high schools and the local university.
In 1995, the agency for accreditation affiliation for all the technical institutes became the Council on Occupational Education (COE). Also in 1995, all institutes that were still on a four-day week were changed back to a five-day week, and all institutes were renamed Louisiana Technical College with this college designated as Hammond Area Campus. In addition to diplomas, the technical college campuses began offering Associate of Applied Technology Degrees in the Office Occupations program with other programs to follow as curriculums were developed.
Effective July 1, 1999, the governance of all Louisiana Technical College campuses was transferred by Constitutional Amendment (Acts 151 and 170 from the 1st Extraordinary Legislative Session, 1998) to the Board of Supervisors, Louisiana Community and Technical College System (LCTCS), a new board created to govern all state Community Colleges and Louisiana Technical College with its 42 campuses.